Placentation and Maternal Recognition of Pregnancy Review Quiz
1. The formation of the blastocyst
involves the pump of Na and H2O into the center of the embryo.
2. Hatching of the bovine blastocyst
ocurrs on days 9 - 11.
3. While the cow, sheep and pig
conceptus go through a spherical, tubular and filamentous stage, the equine
conceptus remains spherical.
4. Transmigration of the embryo
from one uterine horn to the other occurs in the pig and horse but not in
the sheep and cow.
5. During gastrulation, the endoderm
lines the inside of the blastocoele cavity, forming the yolk sac portion
of the placenta.
6. Which of the following tissues
are derived from the ectoderm?
7. Which of the following tissues
are derived from the mesoderm?
8. Which of the following tissues
are derived from the endoderm?
9. Which placental membranes functions
to provide the source of primordial germ cells and red blood cells.
10. Which placental membranes
functions to bring the blood vessels to the surface of the placenta?
11. Which placental membranes
functions as a shock absorber and is non-vascular?
12. Which placental membranes
attaches to the mother?
13. The signal for maternal recognition
of pregnancy in the cow is the production of an interferon tau by the early
14. The signal for maternal recognition
of pregnancy in the pig is production of porcine chorionic gonadotropin.
15. There is no maternal recognition
of pregnancy event in the dog and cat. The CL in the non-pregnant and pregnant
animal last the same period of time.
16. Which of the following have
a superficial type of implantation?
17. Which of the following have
a interstitial type of implantation?
18. Which of the following have
a cotelydonary placenta?
19. Which of the following have
a zonary placenta?
20. The binuclear giant cells
of the bovine placenta produce
21. Maternal and fetal blood is
separated by 3 tissue layers in a hemoendothelial placenta.
22. Maternal and fetal blood is
separated by 6 tissue layers in a epithelialchorial placenta.