Animal Science 434 - Applied Anatomy
This laboratory will require that you work with animals so dress appropriately and do not where open toed shoes.
- Examine how knowledge of anatomy is applied in real world animal production.
- Introduce you to the techniques for artificial insemination in several farm animal species.
- Perform rectal palpation and artificial insemination in cattle.
- Perform artificial insemination in pigs.
- AI catheter - The insemination pipet used to deliver semen to the female.
- insemination dose - This usually refers to the number of sperm inseminated not the volume.
- liquid semen - Semen that is extended and used at room temperature or cooled to 5 or 15°C.
- Getting ready for lab: There are many things you need to be able to do in lab this week. In this section you will review female anatomy, rectal palpation, and artificial insemination in cattle and pigs.
- Classroom Laboratory Procedure : This section will cover palpation of cow reproductive tracts, ovarian structure identification, palpation of tracts in training boxes along with artificial insemination. Be sure to do all 3 stations and the associated questions.
- Applied Female Anatomy: You will actually perform rectal palpation and artificial insemination in a cow.
- Infectious Bovine Rhinotracheitis (IBR): Examine the consequences and prevention of this disease.
- Semen Information: Record your breeding information and examine the bull you used.