Jack Rutledge, Professor
Department of Animal Sciences; Genetics
472 Animal Science Bldg.
1675 Observatory Drive
Madison, WI 53706
B.S. Oklahoma State University, Animal Science 1968
M.S. North Carolina State University, Animal Breeding,Statistics Minor 1970
Ph.D. North Carolina State University, Animal Breeding, Statistics Minor 1973
Post-doctoral Associate University of Wisconsin, Department of Genetics 1974
Some theoretical work in Animal Breeding usually in estimation or systems is
continued. Bulk of work in recent years has been in applications of reproductive
biology technologies into animal production and improvement schemes. In particular,
the in vitro produced bovine embryo has many applications. An important application
is in tropical dairying where in ova from high milk producing taurus breeds
are fertilized with sperm from tropically adapted breeds or species of cow.
Resulting heifers are ideal milk cows under a wide range of tropical conditions
exibiting maximum heterosis and complementarity.
- Animal Science (Gentics) 610: Quantitative Genetics
- Animal Science475: Senior Proseminar
- Short Course: Beef and Swine Breeding
Publications:Published 96 papers in 28 different
referred journals. Publications of the last tree years are:
- McHugh, J.A. and J.J. Rutledge. 1998. Heterologous fertilization to characterize
spermatozoa of the genus Bos. Theriogenology 50: 185-193.
- Rutledge, J.J. 1998. Breeding strategies for Zebu cattle/Indigenous breeds.
Proc. 4th SIPAR Seminar on Anim Reprod and Biotechnol for Latin America. Belem,
Brazil Feb 8-20, 1998.
- Rutledge, J.J. 1998. Applications of in vitro methodology in tropical dairying.
In: Proc. 17th Tech Conf. on AI and Reprod.Nat'l Assn Anim Brds. Sept 25-26
- Ambrose, J.D., M. Drost, R.L. Monson, J.J. Rutledge, M.L. Leibfried-Rutledge,
M.J.Thatcher, T. Kassa, M. Binelli, P.J. Hansen, P.J. Chenoweth and W.W. Thatcher.
2000. Efficacy of timed embryo transfer with fresh and frozen in vitro produced
embryos to increase pregnancy rates in heat-stressed dairy cattle. J. Dairy
Sci. 82: 2369-2376.
- Agca, Y., J. Liu, J.J. Rutledge, E.S. Critser and J.K. Critser. 2000. Effect
of osmotic stress on the developmental competence of germinal vesicle and
metaphase II stage bovine cumulus oocyte complexes and its relevance to cryopreservation.
Mol. Reprod. Dev. 55: 212-219.
- Fischer, A.E., D.P. Bernal, C. Gutierrez-Robayo and J.J. Rutledge. 2000.
Estimates of heterosis for in vitro embryo production using reciprocal crosses
in cattle. Theriogenology (in press).
- Rutledge, J.J. 2001. Greek Temples, tropical kine and recombination load.
Livestk. Prod Sci. (in press).
- Rutledge, J.J. 2001. Use of embryo transfer and IVF to bypass effects of
heat stress. Theriogenology (in press).
- Men, H., R.L. Monson and J.J. Rutledge. 2001. Effect of maturation process
and maturation protocols on bovine oocyte freezing tolerance. Theriogenology
File last updated: March 1, 2003
Feedback, questions or accessibility issues: firstname.lastname@example.org
Copyright © 2002 The Board of Regents of the University of Wisconsin