The Stock Pavilion was finished in the summer or fall of 1909. This was a much needed facility because the "Long Course"
was rapidly increasing in numbers, which is now the regular agricultural
program. The facility was built to accommodate the large attendance
at Farmer's Course, livestock judging, and demonstrations. The main
arena is 66 x 164 feet and can accommodate 2000 people. Beneath the amphitheater,
there were 15 box stalls, and 22 standing stalls for horses, as well as
hospital type facilities for the animals. There was also considerable
storage for farm machinery and almost 600 tons of grain.
The arena has been a gathering place for many events throughout its history. President Harry Truman, seeking re-election, spoke to a capacity
filled arena. Many concerts, by leading orchestras and singers, were often
held in the stock pavilion which has surprisingly good acoustics. Over
the years many different departments used the stock pavilion for a myriad of
events and reasons.
Currently the stock pavilion does not house animals, but animals are
often brought in for educational purposes. The building is a landmark
for agriculture and education at the University.
Any group wanting to use the Stock Pavillion must contact Shelia Pink (608-263-4514; firstname.lastname@example.org) in the Department of Animal Sciences to get scheduled. Application for use of the Stock Pavilion must be received at least two weeks prior to anticipated use.
Please read Special Health Information For Animal-Use Facility Visitors before using the facility.
(Waiver; CALS day for kids waiver; SOP for use of Stock Pavillion; SOP for Farm Animal petting zoo; Guidelines for Instructors)
New 11/09: Requirements for Dogs